Cheong Wa Dae Bomb Threat Caller Fined W3.4 Million
Kyung Ho Kim, Sept. 17, 2015, 10:29 a.m.
A Seoul court has ordered a 47-year-old man to compensate the police for making a prank emergency call threatening to blow up Cheong Wa Dae, police said Thursday. The Seoul Central District Court ruled last month that the man, identified only by his family name Chang, pay the Dongdaemun Police Station a total of 3.4 million won (US$3,000) in compensation, the police said.
Chang is accused of making the threat against the presidential office in April 2014 by borrowing his friend's cellphone. The police dispatched 16 patrol cars and 41 officers to the areas nearby the presidential office and conducted a search operation for five hours after they received the call. While charging him with obstruction of duties, the police had filed a separate suit seeking compensation for damages incurred by him. Chang also served a six-month jail term last year over the prank call.