[Writer's Choice] Korean Food that will warm your soul
Cari Pak, Jan. 19, 2018, 12:44 p.m.
On days you are craving Korean food, there are many different dishes that can cross your mind. Here are some of my personal favorites that are currently on my mind as I am writing (...drool) and entrees I recommend for the next time you or a friend want to try Korean food!
1. Soulongtang - ox bone soup. This soup is a creamy, rich but not heavy broth that is simple yet tasty. It is usually unseasoned so you can add the seasonings (salt and pepper) to your liking. Nothing beats eating this soup on cold days or days when you are feeling down and maybe hungover...
2. Tteokbokki - spicy rice cakes. This is Korean street food at its finest. It is comfort in a cup or bowl and satisfying to eat due to its spicy yet slightly sweet taste and chewy texture. Complete your meal with a side of fishcake soup (odengguk) and your soul will be soothed.
3. Kimchi chigae - kimchi stew. A warm bowl of kimchi chigae is all you need to satisfy your Korean food craving! Kimchi stew is usually the basis for "army stew" which involves adding ingredients such as
4. KFC aka Korean fried chicken, once you try Korean fried chicken, you'll never want to eat any other fried chicken! Shown below as an example is "ban-ban" chicken which means half and half of two different flavored chicken.
5. Sam Gyup Sal - pork belly (literal translation: three-layered meat). You can have Samgyupsal in a variety of ways such as grilled, steamed, marinated, in a rice bowl, in lettuce wraps... the list goes on. Because of the layers of meat and fat, the meat is tender with a lot of flavor!