N. Korea claims S. Korea to be unfit to criticize missile test after violation of inter-Korean agreement
Alex Havensburg, May 14, 2019, 9:10 a.m.
North Korean state media said Tuesday the South Korean military is not qualified to criticize Pyongyang over its recent launch of projectiles into the East Sea, claiming that Seoul is responsible for violating an inter-Korean an agreement to reduce military tensions.
Radio Pyongyang made the claim, referring to the North's launch of projectiles into the East Sea earlier this month as a "normal" military exercise within its territorial waters.
"Therefore, the international community, as well as the United States and Japan, have said the strike drill was not a violation of a promise as it was neither a launch of an intermediate range missile nor an intercontinental ballistic missile," Radio Pyongyang said.
Following the launch on May 4, the South Korean military called on the North to stop escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula, saying their recent move goes against the spirit of the inter-Korean military agreement signed in September. The North then fired off two short-range missiles last week, just five days after the launch of the projectiles.
"It is a shameless complaint from the ones who lost the right to talk about the deal by recklessly infringing upon the North-South military agreement, sticking to secret hostile acts with the U.S.," Radio Pyongyang said, denouncing Seoul's joint military trainings with Washington.
Calling South Korean military's response as an effort to mislead public opinion to hide its own "criminal" attempt for military confrontation, Radio Pyongyang said the North will never "stay silent" on Seoul's move to put "unfair blame" on them.
"South Korean military should clearly know that if it continues talking nonsense like now when it has totally lost the right to do so, it will only be faced with more criticism and humiliation from inside and out," Radio Pyongyang said.