Rescue Divers Give Up Search for Victims of Ferry Sewol
kpopluv, Nov. 10, 2014, 8:49 a.m.
Rescue officials have decided to end the search for the remaining victims of the April 16 ferry disaster. They said the families of the nine passengers who remain missing accepted the conclusion of divers that it is no longer possible to search for the missing in icy currents.
Rescue divers working for private contractors decided last week to pack up and leave and pull out two ocean barges that had been tethered at the scene of the accident off the southwest coast. Without the barges, Navy divers and maritime police rescue workers would have to ferry back and forth from the coast aboard rubber dinghies to continue searching, greatly reducing efficiency.
Rescue officials attempted to convince the private contractors to stay longer but were apparently told that any further attempts to search for remaining victims would be a waste of time and money.