Study Shows More Than 90 % of South Korean Men in 20’s Willing to Fight in Inter Korea War
luvsmiling, June 23, 2015, 9:28 a.m.
More than nine out of 10 South Korean men in their 20s are willing to fight in a war against North Korea should one arise, a poll showed Tuesday. According to the survey of 537 male citizens aged 19 or older, 91 percent in their 20s responded that they will fight if an inter-Korean war, just like the one in 1950, breaks out.
The figure was followed by 88 percent among those in their 50s, 84 percent in their 40s, and 77 percent among those aged 60s or older. Men in their 30s showed the smallest rate of 75 percent. On average, 83 percent of male citizens expressed their willingness to fight. The poll was conducted last week via phone by polling agency Gallup Korea.
"Those in their 30s appear to be the most reluctant compared to other age groups to join a war, as many of them should care for their young children, as I understand it," the agency said in a release.
Of 463 female respondents, 55 percent said they would willingly take a certain role during a possible inter-Korean conflict, according to the poll, which also found that of the total 1,000 citizens, 69 percent pledged to join the war.
Asked about their predictions on the chances of an inter-Korean battle, 39 percent out of the 1,000 respondents said such a war on the Korean Peninsula is probable, with 54 percent expecting no or little possibility.
The Korean War broke out on June 25, 1950, when North Korean troops, backed by the Soviet Union, invaded the South. The U.S. and 20 other allied countries fought alongside South Korea under the United Nations flag, while China helped North Korea. It ended in a truce, not a peace treaty, leaving the two Koreas technically in a state of war, with tensions on the peninsula still running high.